CST 334 Weekly Journal #2


Weekly Journal #2

This week I learned about the meaning of process and the process states. Most of these steps were ordered to where if one step was out of order it would not run properly. Furthermore, I learned how the OS manages the processes using 3 key components, the process control block, scheduler, and dispatcher. These were steps for the processes to store, run, and then give control of the CPU. I found it interesting how much of a difference Compute Bound vs I/O Bounds jobs were. While compute-bound jobs spend most of the time computing and performing computations, i/o-bound jobs wait until the operations are complete. Then, for the labs, I got some needed practice in with process scheduling. It was frustrating at first because I felt like I was doing everything right, but after submitting it it would come out wrong. Eventually, I found out that I was subtracting wrong with the arrival time and duration. All in all, this week was a lot of reading, but also a lot of learning about new things too. I had to reread a couple of things to get a better understanding of it, but once I did it was interesting to put two and two together.

Comments

Popular Posts