CST 334 Weekly Journal #6

 Weekly Journal

This week I learned about Semaphore and how it helps manage concurrency in an operating system. It manages access to shared resources in a multi-threaded environment and comes in binary semaphores and counting semaphores. These can only be 0 or 1, and for counting semaphores, which can have a wider range of values. Furthermore, I read that using this can be helpful with concurrency problems, however, using semaphore improperly can also lead to deadlocks. In addition, there are also ways to avoid them by using timeout strategies. All in all, this week was an interesting topic to learn. I may need to look it over more for a better understanding of how concurrency is managed in software development, but I feel like I have a basic understanding of it right now.

Comments

Popular Posts